Today is the first day of Chinese New Year. In honor of the holiday we had an early celebration last weekend and made a feast of different dishes. The first we are sharing are these Awesome Egg Rolls. Believe it or not, but we had never made egg rolls prior to this. We’ve made dumplings before, but never egg rolls. This was a fun activity for the whole family to get involved in. We deep fried these egg rolls. However, with the kids helping with the filling and sealing of these, they may not have sealed the wrappers as tightly as they should have. As a result, the egg rolls may have turned out a little greasier than we had wanted. The filling and flavor was great though and we enjoyed these as part of our feast!
Awesome Egg Rolls
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com courtesy of ROUVER
6 cups green cabbage, shredded
1 carrot, shredded
2 tablespoons chopped onion
4 ounces cooked, frozen baby salad shrimp, defrosted
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
black pepper to taste
1 egg, beaten
20 egg roll wrappers
vegetable oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, and onion. Stir in the shrimp, soy sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper.
2. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Pour the beaten egg into the pan, flipping once, until done. Remove from the skillet and let cool. Once
cooled chop finely and stir into the cabbage mixture. Sprinkle the cabbage mixture with approximately 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons cold water. Set aside.
4. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cabbage mixture into the center of each egg roll skin. Dip a spoon into the water/cornstarch mixture, and moisten all corners but the bottom corner. Fold the egg roll skin from the bottom over the mixture, making a tight tube. Fold the corners in from the sides, and press to stick against the folded roll. Finish rolling the rest of the way. Repeat with remaining egg roll wrappers.
5. Fill deep fryer with vegetable, using the manufacturer’s recommendations. Heat to 350 degrees F. If not using a deep fryer, pour vegetable oil into a deep frying pan to a depth of 3 or 4 inches, and heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Carefully place egg rolls into hot oil, and fry until golden brown. (approximately 4-5 minutes in the deep fryer). Remove to paper towels.