Summer will be here soon. That means lots of grilling and BBQs. When I get tired of burgers and hot dogs, sausage and peppers is always a hit! I recently found this pasta dish that combines all of the flavors of the summer fave that can be made anytime of the year. With the gooey cheese and pasta, this is a comfort dish. I made this last week before the temperatures took a sudden rise! I recommend saving this recipe for a cooler day when a hearty, filling pasta dish is needed. This was a hit with everyone, including the kids!
Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole
Recipe adapted from Family Foodie
1 pound ziti
1 pound sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
½ cup butter
1 bell pepper cut into strips
1 small yellow onion, sliced
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
2¼ cups milk
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta according to directions on box.
2. In a large skillet, over medium high heat, brown the sausage, breaking up into small crumbles. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan and drain the fat.
3. Melt the butter in the skillet then add the peppers and onions, sautéing until tender.
4. Stir the flour into the pepper and onion mixture and then slowly add the milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until blended well. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, the 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Stir the cooked pasta and sausage into the cheese mixture. Once combined pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.