This is also the second week of my CSA Challenge. In this new series, I am spotlighting vegetables from my weekly CSA and how I use them. Last week I showcased escarole and how I used it in Penne with Escarole and Sausage. Today, I am spotlighting watercress. This is a leafy green that I’ve eaten at restaurants but had never cooked with, prior to receiving it in my CSA. Raw, watercress has a slightly bitter taste. I have found that cooking “bitter” greens tend to lessen the bitterness, as this recipe did. Since joining the CSA, I have been stocking up on frozen pie crusts. I am not a baker and don’t have the patience for making my own pie crust. However, using the pre-made pie crusts makes making quiche a breeze. I’ve made several different quiches and my husband and I enjoy them for breakfast. The kids don’t especially enjoy the veggie filled quiches. However, if it has bacon and cheese, they want in! Since there’s no meat in this quiche, my husband and I enjoyed this Watercress and Red Pepper Quiche.
Watercress and Red Pepper Quiche
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes UK
1 frozen pie crust, thawed as directed
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup milk
1 bunch watercress, stalks removed and leaves chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 large red pepper, diced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F, placing a baking sheet in oven to warm.
2. To make the filling, heat the oil over low heat in a large, nonstick pan. Add the onions, brown sugar and a pinch of salt, mixing them together. Saute for 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened and lightly caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Crack the eggs in a large mixing bowl, add the milk and salt and black pepper and whisk well. Then stir in the watercress and mozzarella cheese.
4. Spoon the cooled onions into the pie crust, spreading them out evenly. Pour the watercress mixture and sprinkle the diced pepper over the top.
5. Place the prepared quiche on the hot baking sheet and cook for 35-40 minutes until the filling is set and the topping is lightly browned. Serve it hot or at room temperature.