I have a tasty recipe for you today! When I see any recipe with “taco” I’m almost guaranteed that it will be a hit with the kids (wait, who am I kidding?!! I mean my son, the picky eater! My daughter eats almost everything). This dish is basically a taco without the shell. I served the mixture over rice but it would be a great taco or burrito filling. Next time I make this, and there will definitely be a next time, I’m also going to add a can of black beans and possibly add another tablespoon of taco seasoning. This was a quick, easy and delicious recipe that we all loved!
Cheesy Taco Skillet
Recipe adapted from Sweet C’s Designs
1 lb. ground turkey
1 onion, diced
Kernels from 3 ears of fresh corn
1 (14.5) ounce can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (I used Penzeys)
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
3 cups mustard greens, chopped (any greens will do – kale, spinach, etc.)
2 cups cooked rice
1. In a large skillet, brown the turkey, breaking up into crumbles as it cooks and draining any excess fat.
2. Add the onions and corn kernels cooking for approximately 5 minutes until onions start softening.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, taco seasoning and water, stirring to evenly coat the meat mixture. Once combined add the greens mixing until wilted.
4. Cover the mixture with the shredded cheese. Once melted serve over the cooked rice.
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, the Weekend Chef created this “Taco Tuesday” Burger. We’ve had our share of taco dinners…..because really, who doesn’t love tacos? We’re guilty of using the occasional boxed set from the supermarket. You know what I’m talking about: corn taco shells, pouch of sauce, and a pouch of seasoning. The Weekend Chef’s taken all the elements of a traditional taco and created a burger that was ah-mazing! We’ve upgraded from the packaged taco seasoning to Penzeys Taco Seasoning blend. There are plenty of online recipes for homemade taco seasoning blends as well if you prefer to go that route. Like tacos, these burgers are versatile, in that each family member can choose what toppings they want on their burger. Our son HATES guacamole and wanted nothing to do with it. Meanwhile, our daughter who doesn’t usually eat guacamole enjoyed it with all of the other toppings on her burger. Warning, be sure to have LOTS of napkins handy! We found these burgers to be a bit messy…..but totally worth it!
Taco Tuesday Turkey Burger
Recipe from the Weekend Chef of NY Foodie Family
1 lb. ground turkey
2 Tbsp. Taco Seasoning (we used Penzeys)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
4 hamburger buns
4 slices Cheddar cheese
guacamole (see recipe below)
For the guacamole:
2 ripe avocados, chopped
1 plum tomato
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the ground turkey, taco seasoning and the shredded cheese. Hand form into four patties. Place patties in the heated pan and cook approximately 8-10 minutes on each side, depending on thickness of your patties, or until cooked through.
2. While the burgers are cooking, prepare the guacamole. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl and mash to your desired consistency.
3. Once burgers are done cooking, place a slice of cheddar cheese on each burger and let melt. Place a burger on each hamburger bun. Garnish with lettuce, tomato, guacamole and a dollop of sour cream, if desired. Serve and enjoy!