Winter is all about comfort food and nothing says comfort like some homemade mac and cheese. As we try to eat less meat we are always looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into our dishes. Since mac and cheese is a favorite among the kids we knew they’d eat this. We cooked the cauliflower to a point where it wasn’t too crunchy or too mushy. The sour cream gave the dish an extra creaminess. And we were correct, the kids did indeed eat all of their dinner!
Macaroni and Cauliflower Cheese Bake
Recipe adapted from The Art of Food adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Jamie’s Food Revolution
1 head of cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces
8 oz. shredded cheddar
4 oz. grated parmesan cheese
1 pound macaroni
1 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1. Grease 9×13 inch baking pan.
2. Cook macaroni according to package, adding cauliflower to the same pot of boiling water.
3. Place heat-proof bowl over the boiling pasta pot and add cheeses and sour cream.
4. Stir mixture until smooth and melted.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove bowl from pot, setting aside.
6. Drain macaroni and cauliflower in colander and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
7. Pour pasta and cauliflower back into the pot. Add cheese mixture stirring to combine. Add reserved cooking water in small amounts as needed, if too thick.
8. Pour mixture into greased baking pan. Place pan under broiler until golden.