As I mentioned yesterday, our supper club’s January theme was alcohol. I chose beer, thinking I would make some type of beer-braised chicken dish. When I found this recipe I knew this was what I was going to be making. Saturdays are busy with our morning farmer’s market trip, my son’s basketball game, and our weekly trip to the library. Tieghan from Half Baked Harvest, where I found this recipe, gives directions on how to cook the chicken in the slow cooker. So, of course, I went that route! The name’s a mouthful, but the dish is oh so flavorful! It went really well with the black beans and whiskey glazed carrots that other supper club members had made. Everyone enjoyed these tacos! The flavors of the spicy chicken mixed with the sweet of the fruit salsa worked really well together. This is not a dish that I’d think of making for the kids, based on the “spicy” and “sweet chili” in the title. However, we had lots of leftover chicken and for lunch the next day both kids ate tacos without the salsa.
Spicy Beer Braised Chicken Enchilada Tacos with Sweet Chili Apple-Pomegranate Salsa
Recipe very slightly adapted from Half Baked Harvest
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 chipotle chilies in adobo, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, or more or less to taste
- salt and peper
- 1 (8 ounce) beer
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 -3/4 cup enchilada sauce
- 8 warmed flour or corn tortillas, for serving
- sharp cheddar cheese and queso fresco for serving
For the Sweet Chili Apple-Pomegranate Salsa:
- 2 apples, finely chopped (we used gala)
- arils from one small pomegranate
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- 2-4 tablespoons sweet thai chili sauce
1. Add chicken through enchilada sauce into crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or low 4-6 hours. Shred the chicken and return to the crockpot. If needed cook the chicken oh high for 30 minutes with the lid off to help thin the sauce.
2. Meanwhile, make the salsa. Add the chopped apple, pomegranate arils, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and sweet thai chili sauce to a bowl. Toss well to combine, taste and adjust if needed. Cover and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
3. Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the pot and shred with two forks. Meanwhile reduce the sauce that is left in the pot down to about 3/4 of a cup. Add the shredded chicken back to the sauce in the pot and toss. Next add the enchilada sauce and continue to cook about 2 minutes or until warmed through. If the sauce gets too thick, add a splash of apple cider.
4. To serve, add the shredded chicken to a warmed taco shell. Top with cheddar, avocado and then the apple salsa. Sprinkle with queso fresco and chopped cilantro.