Happy Friday the 13th! This week has been pretty uneventful, which is fine with me. I am a creature of habit and routine. Tonight my son has a skit night with the Cub Scouts that we are attending and my daughter is at a friend’s for the evening. We have a three day weekend to celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr. Besides a birthday party that my son has, we so far have a relatively quiet weekend. We will definitely be having a family movie night one evening and I hope to get in lots of reading time! Here are five from this week:
1. Reading: I just finished reading Raymie Nightingale. This is a middle grade fiction book that was a 2016 Goodreads Choice Award nominee for middle grade & children’s as well as a 2017 Mock Newbery. I was expecting great things from this book but thought it was just an okay read. My daughter is interested in reading this book and I’ll be curious on her thoughts, since she’s the actual intended audience for the book. Up next on my TBR pile is Only Ever You.
2. Watching: Two episodes in and I’m totally hooked on The Bachelor! I’m also very happy that This Is Us is back. I still have to watch this week’s episode though. And my daughter and I have just started watching Just Add Magic on Amazon Prime. We are only a couple of episodes in, but it’s a cute show.
3. Eating: My husband is a quarter Jewish. He was not raised Jewish but has grown up celebrating Passover and Hanukkah with his mother’s side of the family. We normally celebrate Hanukkah as a family with latkes, Hanukkah books and dreidel playing. This year the first night of Hanukkah fell on Christmas Eve. We were busy Christmas Eve and Christmas with family celebrations and then I was sick for most of the week after the holidays. So, we never had our Hanukkah celebration. My son was upset that he didn’t get his latkes, so this past weekend my husband made them. We enjoyed them so much (and he hardly made any!) that we plan on making some more this weekend. They are so good!
4. Media Event: This past Tuesday I was invited to a preview luncheon of Dig Inn. This is a NYC based eatery that opened its first Westchester County location in Rye Brook. I was invited to sample the food (which is healthy and delicious! If you follow me on Instagram, you’ve seen some of the tasty eats I had!) and see the space (which is bright and beautiful!). I brought a friend with me and it was a great time. I am grateful that blogging has provided me with such fun opportunities.
5. Phone Issues – Okay, I have an iPhone 6s. Recently, whenever I got an incoming call, it would cut in and out and I couldn’t hear the caller for about the first 10 seconds. It was more annoying than anything and I found it especially trying when on the phone with the doctor. My husband called AT&T for me and they noticed that I hadn’t updated my phone in forever. Yes, I admit, the update notice would pop up daily and I’d just hit “update later”……every single day! I’ve heard bad things happening when people do a software update. Well, that is supposedly the cause of my phone issues. So I did the update yesterday and so far, so good. I guess I should listen to my phone and do the updates when they appear?!!
ICYMI this week on the blog:
Monday I shared our weekly meal plan.
Tuesday I posted my December reads which I shared with the Show Us Your Books link up.
Wednesday I wrote about my word of the year.
Thursday I reviewed Dig Inn, a local restaurant that just opened.