Happy Friday! Can you believe that January is almost over? I feel like so much has happened already in 2017! I am This week the kids had no school Tuesday because of ice and sleet. It was actually a great day to have off, since my daughter was super sick. She has a bad cold and she really needed that day to rest. She was feeling well enough to go back to school Wednesday but even today she’s still not feeling that great. Luckily, the weekend isn’t too busy. My son has a basketball game tomorrow and then my husband and I have supper club tomorrow evening. The theme is Chinese New Year. It should be a delicious dinner! Here are five from this week:
1. Date Night – Last weekend my parents were in town and watched the kids so my husband and I could have a rare date night…..plus one. We’ve been trying to get together with my brother-in-law for ages to go out to dinner. He lives in NYC so we met half-way in Tarrytown. He took the train up and we drove down (about 40 minutes away). We went to Rivermarket Bar and Kitchen, a restaurant that’s been on my to try-list for awhile. We had a great dinner, which included the above Duck Confit pizza as an appetizer. It was a really good dinner!
2. Reading – I just started I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh. I’ve heard a lot of great reviews of this book from the Show Us Your Books linkup and it’s been on my to read list for awhile. I’ve just started it and it’s moving a bit slow. I’m hoping it picks up soon!
3. Watching – This past weekend we watched The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe from the Chronicles of Narnia. My son and I recently finished reading the book and whenever possible, we watch the movie after we read a book. Both book and movie were really good!
4. Eating – Lots of yummy food this week, including this Shrimp Scampi Garlic Bread Pizza. Yes, it was as good as it sounds! You can check out the rest of our menu this past week in Monday’s weekly meal plan post!
5. Listening – I’ve been catching up on finishing the last season of Scandal since TGIT came back last night (Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder!). In one of the last couple of episodes of last season, I heard this song playing in the background. I hadn’t heard it in forever and didn’t realize that Diana Ross sang it. But I was quick to look it up on Youtube and have been listening to it a lot this week.
Bonus: Today is Multicultural Children’s Book Day! Over 300 readers will be linking up their reviews of diverse literature that we have received specifically for this event. I read the book Nowhere Girl and thought it was a really great middle grade fiction book (there’s a link below to my review). I’m so happy that I was able to participate in such a great event. I think that it’s really important that children have access to and read books that celebrate diversity.
ICYMI this week on the blog:
Monday I shared our weekly meal plan.
Tuesday I posted a recipe for Asian Meatloaf.
Wednesday I posted a review of the book Nowhere Girl for Mulicultural Children’s Book Day.
Thursday I wrote about Chinese New Year and also shared where you can celebrate Chinese New Year in Westchester County.