Yesterday, before school, my son asked me, “It’s Thursday already?! This week went by so quickly!” I told him that it was probably because he’d only been in school for a half-a day this week. The kids were off on Monday for Martin Luther King Day, they had an early dismissal Tuesday and a snow day Wednesday. Yes, it’s been a very short school week for them. And yes, I am sick of the cold and snow! Now it’s Friday and we are ready for another weekend! Sunday we are hosting our monthly supper club. But otherwise, we have a pretty relaxing weekend. Here are five from this week:
1. Family Game Day – Last weekend my daughter requested that we have a family game day. We played a couple of the new games that the kids got for Christmas and enjoyed some snacks. It was a fun and relaxing day.
2. Reading – I am currently reading two books. My fiction book is Little Broken Things by Nicole Baart and my non-fiction book is Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequest. I’ve just started both but am enjoying them so far.
3. Watching – On the snow day I watched a movie with the kids. After listening to the kids argue over what we were going to watch, I decided what we were going to watch. I found Free Willy on Amazon Prime. I had not seen this movie since I saw it in the movie theater in middle school. And I cried (a little less than the first time I watched it). Although both kids complained in the beginning about my movie choice, they both really liked it.
4. Monthly Family Dinner – This year, one of my goals was to have a monthly family dinner. I will be writing an upcoming more detailed post about this. But basically, I want us to cook a full meal together and then eat it in the dining room with our fancy china. We decided to choose a new country each month to base our menu on, beginning with the letter A. This month we had an Albanian dinner. It was a fun and delicious night! Here’s a peek at the baklava we made for dessert. I don’t make it often enough but should. It’s so good and relatively easy!
5. Baking – When the kids were off on Wednesday, I had the two of them bake some muffins. They made these Pineapple Muffins from Recipe Girl. I supervised, but they did all the work! I love having kids who enjoy cooking!
ICYMI this week on the blog:
Tuesday I posted a guide to Ice Skating in Westchester County and Beyond.